Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Sarawak Laksa






The Sarawak Laksa so loved by Sarawakians and abroad is indigenous to Sarawak. It is craved for when Sarawakians go abroad.

For the Chans, It was only in 1966 when we moved to Buloh Road did we learn to eat this from Mrs. Chin. Once Mum learned, there was no return. We made it from scratch.

I do not crave for it as I have a non Sarawak Husband, and  my non Sarawak friends didn't like it very much. My Singapore dentist even says it tasted like bitter herbs. I wasn't going to slave away in the kitchen to cook something that wasn't appreciated.

But that was exactly what my two older sisters did, and cooked laksa. I had to pretend to prepare the prawns and they didn't like me. They pricked my thumb and it go infected. They must have said, "You don't like Laksa, we don't like you."

Here's Rose and Elizabeth's laksa. You got to like it, that's all you are getting. When Henry and Elley went to Australia, 8 packs of laksa spice were confiscated at the Singapore airport.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder how it tastes. I don't know if I can find it in SG. There is Sarawak Kolo Mee here.

    ReplyDelete